Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Book....Round 2

So here is the last little bit of love story, to have everyone caught up, then i can blog about more recent things and things that are probably more interesting....SO we are going to speed things up til the engagement. So we started dating in October, he kissed me in November, and then came with me to Utah for Thanksgiving. On the way home on Sunday i broke up with him for reasons i'm not going to get into, then Monday prayed about it and knew for a fact we were getting married, but didn't say anything to him. Five days after having the urge to tell him i love him, i did, 3 long weeks of torture and riding into January, he reciprocated with the L word and that same night we decided we were going to work toward getting married. A month after that we let our parents know, and three months after that, into May, he proposed. So that brings us to the proposal....

I finally got off the plane from being in DC and NYC for 4 days…first off and was super excited to see David, so I text him and he told me to go to the baggage carousel and look for my name.

I got down there, looked around for a bit, preparing for something embarrassing, when I finally saw my name. It was a limo driver lol. He took my cell phone and handed me an envelope that said BRITNI AFTON SHIRLEY. Inside was a message from my love. “HEY BABY I have not seen you in a few days so I thought I would do a little something special for you. There are a few instructions you will have to follow in order to have the best time possible. First- you need to give your phone to the driver. I know it’s like asking you to cut off your arm, but trust me, you will have more fun. Second- use this camera to document your adventure. Britni, we have a great story and I know you love to share it with others. There are so many chapters in this, our real life, and so much more yet to be written. So when you reach your destination go in and enjoy the memories. Oh…one more thing…I love you. -David James Richards.” The limo driver took me to destination one, Fast Lap. I went inside and John was there! John Laycock! We took a picture together and he handed me In ‘n’ out and envelope that said “Friendship and Communication” on the front. I got back in the limo and opened it. “Do you REMEMBER our second date? This place doesn‘t look like much from the outside, but inside it is nothing less than go-cart heaven! Here is where I learned just how fun you really are. You put on that full racing suit and the crazy neck/face sock thing…lol…we were silly and I loved every minute of it. I also learned I can totally own you on a racetrack. After chasing each other around on the track I think we went to In ’n’ Out, grabbed a burger and I took you home. We ended up sitting in my truck for a couple hours talking and talking. We have always been able to talk to each other even near the start of our relationship. I think that is something that has helped us and will be a great strength in years to come. What a wonderful night that was! I had crazy fun!”. Destination 3, Fly Away. I got my envelope from the front desk labeled “Adventure and Love”. This is where we took our relationship to new HEIGHTS. This has always been a fun place for me to come on my own and forget about everything and just fly! It was so much fun to be able to share this place with you. You looked a little nervous, but you went for it anyway. You showed me your adventurous side by doing something you had never done before even thought it was a little bit ‘dangerous‘. Although we were flying…I had fallen for you (remember my silly card?) I was slow to admit it, but I loved you then and had loved you for some time…and I love you to this day (only more)”. Then I was taken to Zach Smith’s parents house, where David’s truck was parked and the envelope on it. I knew David had to be around there somewhere so I looked around, but didn’t see him. Envelope was titled “…and all the little things…” and it said-As random as this seems, this represents the little things. Do you remember saying goodbye as night after spending some time with each other? We would stand out by my truck, or by your car and chat. Our hands would play (the way only our hands do) I would put my arms around you…and toss you into the sprinklers! Lol! There are so many fun little moments that mean so much to me:- grape cream slushes, having a crazy girl jump on my back at a football game, hanging by my truck, Christmas, surprise lunch visits, Valentine’s Day, kissing on the Wood Family’s couch (lol), California with my sisters, Disneyland, New harmony trips…I love all of these memories. The best part is that they are with you. They are OUR memories…ok…next stop!” I kept going. I was sure I was going to see him at the next stop. The temple. After all, this was supposed to be a mini date. So, I figured he would be there and we’d study or something. I was wrong though. Bailey, my sister, met me there, and I was very happy to see here. It was really weird pulling up to the temple in a limo. Way weird. Anyway, Bai was there and gave me the envelope “will make eternity” It said, - “Of all your stops tonight this may be the most significant. I know that the temple has been an important place for you. It has been a place to reflect and a refuge from the world. The time I have spent with you at the temple and the conversations we have had in and around this Holy House are precious to me. I have LOVED studying and serving with you here. I am excited to enter these doors with you and be sealed for eternity in the near future (or as we like to call it-Infinity Plus One). I hope to return many times with you to do work for those who have gone before us. I love being here at the temple with you.” Next stop Jan’s house, which is where I live now... I didn’t know why. I was SO confused. I figured I was going there to change and get pretty or something, then he was taking me to dinner, but wrong again. Jan and Lloyd were there with the next envelope and camera… “Home”. I was only supposed to change into a tee shirt. “SO I figured you would want to drop off your stuff and clean up after a long flight. But, BE QUICK! Because you must be out the door by 5:40pm…if it is 5:40om right now, drop off your stuff and get back in the limo. Lol. If you have some time I suggest something casual…jeans and a t-shirt! Maybe a super awesome tee that your boyfriend got for you. He has good taste…ok…go!” I left the house with one final envelope. They gave me two at Jan’s, the last one said “for us“. and inside it said- “YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY to a very special place for us. When you arrive I hope you know where to go. I want you to give this envelope to the driver when you get out and say thanks to him for me. Be sure to get your phone! Call or text me when you are outside. I am excited to see you. Are you excited to see me? I will be waiting patiently for you my love.” I was then taken to the House of Blues…our first date. I got my cell phone back, walked in, text him like it said to, and he told me to go into the Dining room, I didn’t know where it was though, so I called and he told me. I knew it the second I walked in. Our friends were standing there. All the envelopes put together had a message. “Britni Afton Shirley, Friendship and Communication, Adventure and Love, …and all the little things…will make eternity home for us".


I walked in, walked over to David and kissed him, he was holding a box in his hand. He told me he needed me and that there was a reason our friends were there, and that he loved me. Then got down on one knee and said “Will you marry me?” I was all smiles and kissed him and whispered “yes” into his ear. I was shaking so hard. Lol Theneveryone in the restaurant broke out into applause and all our friends came over and looked at the ring because apparently David wouldn’t let anyone see it before me. lol Eric Trigg, Erin Cory, Erynn and Devyn Manu, Jasmine Reuel, Charlie Cory, Josh Mojica, Matt Hurley, Trish Williams, Whitney Shofner, John Laycock, Chris Baugh, Robi Sundell, John Harden, and Christian and Rachel Wood were all there to witness the event.


Apparently on Sunday at church David went into the Priesthood and Relief Society and made an announcement saying he was proposing and he needed their help to show up if they could. So, there they were. I love that these people took time out of THEIR day to support us, that means a lot to me. I visited and found out practically EVERYONE knew. That kinda took the fun out of it for me. I have been planning for months on who and how I was going to tell everyone, and David had already done that. All my family and friends knew. Oh well though. I can't have have everything my way :).

David and I then went to his house and he told me how he talked to Dad. I love that. Apparently Dad was all smiles the entire time, then Sondae told me when I called her later that Dad was excited and proud of me as was she and couldn’t think I could find a better man, so i was happy about that.
At David’s I changed my status on Facebook to “engaged” lol love it. Then David took me back home and we told Aunt Jan and Uncle Lloyd the details. I called mom on the way home at like 12am her time. She didn’t know. I was glad I got to tell someone. I love David so much and can’t wait to spend the rest of our lives together. Go on adventures!!


So this is the Engagement Story! We get sealed on August 16th and i'm sooo excited!

3 comments:

Pamela Williams said...

i lllooovvveee this story! cant get enough of it...but im beginning to think youre as much of a picture freak as i

Anonymous said...

wow! david is very creative! i think that's the best proposal story i have ever heard!! for shiz!

Anonymous said...

and again the mother was the last to know.....lol :)